Car repossessed? Here’s what you can do about it.

If you’ve had a car repossessed recently, you might be wondering what will happen next or even if you can get the car back.  Here’s a quick primer:

First, you’ve had your car repossessed if you’ve defaulted on the loan.  Usually that default is a failure to make payments.  Shortly following the repossession you will receive a Notice of Right to Cure from the lender.  This Notice will explain your rights and obligations, and if you have the funds to pay the arrears in full then you can regain possession of the car.  However, if you need the car and do not have the funds to fully cure the arrears, you can still get your car back – by filing a Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition.  Filing under Chapter 13 allows you to cure the arrears over three or five years (depending upon your income and other debts) and keep the car as long as you can make the monthly loan payments as well as your plan payments.

But what if you don’t want the car back?  Chances are, the car will sell at auction and there will be a deficiency on your account (meaning, the car did not sell for as much as you owe on the loan).  In this case, the lender can sue you for that deficiency amount, obtain a judgment against you, and then garnish your wages, levy on your bank accounts, or place a lien on your real property.  You can avoid this by filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition and “surrendering” your ownership interest in the car. You are then discharged of the underlying debt and will no longer be liable for any deficiency on the account.

If you’ve had a car repossessed and need to explore your options, contact us to schedule your free consultation.

NJ residents, Get Out of Debt in 2014! Debt settlement, bankruptcy, loan modification… learn about your options now!

Have you resolved to deal with your overwhelming debt in the New Year?  Let our firm advise you as to your options.  Debt settlement and negotiation, mortgage modification, and bankruptcy are but a few of your options if you find that your income is just not enough to meet your living expenses and debt repayment.  Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation and find out what options best suit you and your goals.  Commit to getting your Fresh Start today!



Marriage equality in NJ means joint bankruptcy filings for same sex couples

Yesterday the last hurdle was overcome for same sex couples seeking to wed in New Jersey, as stated in this New York Times article.  What does this mean for wedded same sex couples who are considering bankruptcy?  Joint Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 petitions may be filed to deal with individual and jointly-held unsecured debt and to revalue/retain or surrender secured assets such as motor vehicles and real property.  Married persons who wish to file singly can still do so but must provide his or her spouse’s income information for the filing.  For more information on the rights and responsibilities of married couples with regard to bankruptcy, contact us to schedule your free consultation, or click here to fill out this simple, no-obligation evaluation to learn more about your options.

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject (required)

Your Message (required)

Office Locations

Burlington County
10 North Chestnut Ave
Maple Shade, NJ 08052

Camden County
1812 Berlin Rd
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003

Office Hours by Appointment Only

Connect with the firm